Thanksgiving is tomorrow and may be an American holiday, but have you always wanted to add an Irish twist to your meal?
Here is your chance. We have a traditional potato dish called, colcannon, with the whole family will love.
Colcannon potatoes are Irish mashed potatoes with mixed greens of cabbage or kale and scallions.
PREP TIME=10 minutes
COOK TIME=25 minutes
TOTAL TIME=35 minutes
- 4 Russet Potatoes (2 to 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into large chunks.
- 4-6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, plus more for serving.
- 3 lightly packed cups of cabbage, chard, kale, or other leafy green.
- 3 green onions, minced (About 1/2 cup).
- 1 cup cream or milk.
- Boil the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are fork tender-15-20 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Return the pot to the stove and set over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pot and once it is hot, add the greens. Cook the greens for 3-4 minutes or until they are wilted and have given off some of their water. Add the green onions and cook 1 minute more.
- Pour in the cream or milk, mix well, and add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium. Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes, mixing them up with the greens.
- Add salt and a dollop of butter to taste.
Written by Taryn Harrison